Monday, July 16, 2012

Six Minute Vegan Chocolate Cake


I don't know if this really only takes six minutes, but it is fast. I also don't remember where I got it from. The Moosewood cookbook? Maybe. For best results, make a few hours ahead or the night before, store in the fridge. I don't have a recipe for my frosting, I just wing it, so use your favorite chocolate frosting recipe.

Also makes amazing cupcakes!

1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1/3 C cocoa *
1 tsp baking soda (3/4 tsp if using dutch cocoa)
1/2 tsp salt
1 C sugar
1/2 C vegetable or canola oil
1 C cold water
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp vinegar (white or acv)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil an 8x8 baking dish. Mix all dry ingredients together. Add oil and water, mix. Then add vanilla and vinegar and mix until just incorporated. Pour into pan and bake 25-30 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean.


*Dutch is best. It has a deeper, more intense chocolate aroma and flavor. I get mine from an Amish community, but it's not labeled as 'dutch' there.

Here is a picture of the recipe being enjoyed on Pixie's 4th birthday. I topped it with a very rich chocolate frosting and pink pig sprinkles!

No comments: